I think you’ll agree with me when I say that the idea of having a wood burner to roast marshmallows, heat the teapot and gather around on a crisp evening is very romantic.
In the past we had to make do with open campfires however in recent years there has been a surge in the creation and availability of portable wood burning stoves. Stoves vary from small compact alternatives to gas/alcohol stoves to larger encloses with a flume, able to provide heat for hours. We cover a mix in this article, we’ve recently purchased a more substantial stove which we’ll be taking with us on our van life adventure once the conversion is finished!
In summary here is a quick overview of the stoves we cover in this article.
Best Portable Wood Burning Stoves 2017
HQ ISSUE Outdoor Wood Stove
The first stove on our list weighs in at 47 pounds has a decent size firebox of 11.75″w. x 16.25″d. x 10.75″h. Making it suitable for medium size logs that will burn long into the night. The space on on top is large enough to fit a pan and from the horses mouth,
“Keeps coffee and sauce pans hot on top, brings water to a boil and cooks bacon and eggs!”
Sounds perfect to me. While this certainly isn’t suitable for a quick camping trip down to the lake, for larger groups who are more stationary this is perfect to add to the camping experience.
MS Portable Military Camping Wood Stove
This camping stove is design to be carried with the stovetop tray converting into a carry handle, this weighs in at a very manageable 26 pounds. Instead of having a solid metal top like the HQ issue, it does offer additional versatility to dry clothes using the metal grate. It’s cylindrical design puts it at 18 x 10.2 x 11 inches which will require smaller logs but the larger surface area should result in more heat emission.
Camp Chef Alpine CS14 Heavy Duty Cylinder Tent Cabin Stove
This camping stove is designed to combine the best features of the two previous, we’ve included it here because it’s portable for van lifers but we don’t recommend this for pure campers.
Weighing in at 74 pounds you don’t want to carry this too far, but it’s perfect for setup to the side of the awning. With the option to dry socks and items on the rack and also cook on the large hot plate this is an amazing piece of kit to use when entertaining or in larger groups.
Hisea Portable 8-in-1 Outdoor Stove Kit Camping Stove
The Hisea stover has been designed exclusively with versatility in mind. Firstly it’s able to run off a multiple of fuels, and has a multiple number of tops, from a grill grate, saute pan or burner. Made from carbon treated stainless steel this stove is perfect for a backpacking trip as it’s quick at heating up and can be used in a range of weather conditions, with strong winds being it’s only kryptonite.
- SUPREME QUALITY: Made of Carbon Stainless Steel, stands high temperature and weight for durable use. Fine surface polishing with anti-corrosion ability, it can be used under tough conditions. Double Wall and Airflow Holes designs making burning efficiently and creating less smoke.
- VERSATILE & PORTABLE: HISEA outdoor cookware provides an unbeatable value for a great price, BONUS with grill, plate, griddle and oven gloves, 4 cooking modes meet with your demand on burning, BBQ, roasting, and broil. The compact design and carry bag make it easy to carry anywhere you go.
- EASY TO GET FUEL SOURCES: Say goodbye to buy heavy and costly polluting petrol fuels again. It Environmentally Friendly! Conveniently use the fuels where you have or easy to get, small branch leaves, twigs, pinecones, and woods, charcoal, solid alcohol can do great works.
- EXCELLENT FOR THE ADVENTURER: HISEA versatile stove is the perfect outdoor cooking kit for the modern explorer or family for backpacking, fishing, camping, hiking, picnic, and other adventurous outdoor activities. Have fun and enjoy your delicious cooking.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED! Every stove cooking kit comes with a lifelong warranty with HISEA. If you are not satisfied, our products are always backed by 100% Money Back.
CANWAY Wood Burning Stove
The Canway wood burning stove is the lightweight backpackers dream, weighing in at under a pound and in a size not much more than a water bottle can this can go anywhere with you and heat up water for your rehydrated meal. Featuring a dual burning ignition a cleverly designed intake means that combustion occurs in two stages to increase the heat the speed of heat generation as often with smaller portable stoves the main issue is needing to wait a long time for dinner to be ready. If lightweight backpacking is your thing then definitely check this one out!
- Compact & Lightweight: Lightweight and easily collapsible,package collapsible size is 5.5"x5.5"x 3.38", compact design makes outdoor stove easy to be packed in a small storage bag leaves more room in your backpack.
- Sturdy Camping Stove: Made of high-quality stainless steel.This backpacking stove with 3 arms pot support base provides safe and stable cooking platform and distributes heat evenly.
- Environmentally Friendly: With no fuel canisters or alcohol needed, we'll be leaving no chemical emissions behind. The camp stove use branches, leaves, woods as fuel which is easy to get anywhere.
- High Thermal Efficiency: The secondary combustion keeps camping wood stove burning continued for 20mins with dry firewood and wood chips.
- What You Get: 1 x wood burning stove, 1 x storage bag, 1 x user manual, 2-YEAR PROTECTION FOR FREE from the date of its original purchase.
Ohuhu Portable Stainless Steel Wood Burning Camping Stove
Just when you thought they couldn’t get any lighter Ohuhu created this ultra portable wood burning stove. They’ve solved wind related issues by having no feeding slot, you need to remove the top of the stove in order to feed but this means once fuel is in it burn efficiently and well, with all heat directed towards the bottom of the pot. Other advantages of this over competitors is that it has large supports which stops pots from toppling over.
- STURDY STAINLESS STEEL: Crafted with high quality stainless steel, this portable camping stove will steadily burn bright, whatever heavy weight or high heat comes its way
- STABLE AND SAFE: Geared with a 3-arm base support system, even the grassiest fields will be your personal cooking countertop, stable even in windy conditions
- FUELLED BY NATURE: Mother Nature presents the best fuel catalogue, with the abundance of dried twigs, leaves, pinecones and wood as nature's perfect kindling
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT: Easily collapsible and lightweight, this camping stove comes with its own mesh carry bag so you can sling it along and serve up a warm piping meal wherever you've set up camp
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: With no fuel canisters or alcohol needed, we'll be leaving no chemical emissions behind. Treating the earth with extra good care, without any of the hassle